Life...

This post is not about dying, it's about living. I have gotten two emails this week about people who have just been diagnosed with late stage cancer, both had no idea. They were both going about their lives and then suddenly, they find out their body is harboring lots of disease. I also have a friend who lost her sister in a car accident last week.

When these kinds of events happen it just makes you pause and consider your life, or at least it does me. When you hear "you have cancer" it gives you a wake up call that reminds you to appreciate each day, when actually none of us have the guarantee of tomorrow. It's so easy to get stuck just going through the motions of life, instead of living every day with purpose and faith. It is so important to make those wonderful memories, and never pass up the opportunity to show those you love how much they mean to you.

I rarely listen to the radio, but I had it on this week and Tim McGraw's song "Live like you were dying" came on. I had to stop and listen to the lyrics - here are a few of them:

He said: "I was in my early forties,
With a lot of life before me,
An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
I spent most of the next days,
Looking at the x-rays,
An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time."
I asked him when it sank in,
That this might really be the real end?
How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news?
Man whatcha do?
An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."


He said "I was finally the husband,
"That most the time I wasn’t.
"An' I became a friend a friend would like to have.

"And all of a sudden goin' fishin’,
"Wasn’t such an imposition,
"And I went three times that year I lost my Dad.

"Well, I finally read the Good Book,
"And I took a good long hard look,
"At what I'd do if I could do it all again"
                                 ~written by Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman

The bible tells us that heaven will be a place of great joy, with no sickness or pain and no sorrow or crying. We have this wonderful promise waiting for us when we leave this earth.

Until then, I plan to appreciate and enjoy each day and the many many wonderful friends and family members that God has blessed me with. I have so much to be thankful for!

Comments

Wendy said…
thank you for this post.

Popular posts from this blog

COVID Vaccines have arrived!

Henderson sisters dinner

Turn off the news and build a garden