Oncology check-up

I saw Dr. Peacock today for my routine 3 month check-up. I do pretty well until the day of my check up, and then I start getting a little nervous. When I walk up to the door and turn the handle I start imagining all sorts of negative reports she could give me and dream up all kinds of horrible scenarios. It's totally irrational I know!

Anyway...I had blood work and an exam. I continue to have nerve like pains in my R arm and chest and my right arm feels tighter than my left, so we talked about that. The right is the side the cancer was on, so this area had more invasive surgery and node removal. She reassured me this is normal nerve ending re-growth pain and should resolve with time. Dr Peacock said my blood work was perfect and after an exam she declared me "healthy"! She even said I am doing well enough to graduate to every 6 month appointments. I was very excited about that. I had already graduated to every 6 months with my surgical oncologist and yearly with my plastic surgeon. I'm all for less poking and prodding!

Dr. Peacock had just returned from an oncology conference in California and was very excited about a lot of the promising research being done for breast cancer. We talked about a few of the recent studies that have come out. She really wants me exercising 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes, eating healthy, making sure I get enough rest, keeping my stress low and taking a baby aspirin every day. She said these were the things that research is proving can really help prevent
recurrence and they should be at the top of my priority list. I promised her I'd focus on those, after the wedding.

Comments

LuckyForward said…
Wonderful news! Wonderful news!

I know the anxiety you feel - vicariously - through my mom when we see her oncologist.

Count on me for support!
Cris
Wendy said…
Don't know if I ever told you my oldest sister, Teresa, is a breast cancer survivor also.
Sounds like a great report! I found the advice to keep you healthy very interesting. The exercising, healthy eating, etc.
I think it sounds like a plan for everyone.
Congratulations on the positive report.
Wendy

Popular posts from this blog

COVID Vaccines have arrived!

Henderson sisters dinner

Turn off the news and build a garden