Biking the Golden Gate

Hmm...I'm wondering how many of you have a bucket list? You know, a list of things that you want to do before you kick the bucket. I have started making a list several times, but I never finish it. I don't know how many things it should have on it, if they have to be serious things, etc...

Anyway, today I did something that would definitely fit on my bucket list of things to do. I successfully rode a bicycle across the Golden Gate Bridge. We got up this morning and went down to Fisherman's Wharf and rented bikes from Blazing Saddles. The lady there made it sound like we would just head down the path and be right at the base of the bridge. That wasn't really the case, it was actually a couple of miles of long and winding roads, some uphill before you even got to the base of the bridge. Bryan was very patient with me as I struggled along (he rides almost every day at home) and finally made it to the bridge.

The weather was just about perfect - it was 69, sunny and breezy. I made it almost the whole way across the bridge without incident, until we got to the home stretch. There was a narrow section and there were some guys passing us. I got a little too close to the railing and completely wiped out. I think I scared the pro bikers pretty badly, and Bryan too. I was scraped and bruised, but really more embarrassed than anything. I finally got out from under my bike and fixed the seat (it went sideways) I resumed the ride. From then on I was a little skittish about cycling in big city traffic and especially on HUGE bridges.

Once we got to Sausalito (which was another mile) I was able to sit down and access the damage. I'll have a few scrapes and bruises, but I am ok. Bryan admitted his first thought was "oh no, wonder how long it will take EMS to get to us on this bridge?" He said he was afraid I broken my leg or knocked my teeth out on the pavement. Now that it is all over and I am ok; I'm sure it would have made a pretty funny youtube video.

I don't think I'll be joining Lance Armstrong and his friends any time soon, but I am glad I made it. I just hope I'll be able to walk tomorrow. I am already VERY sore.

Bucket List:
Biking the Golden Gate Bridge - Done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID Vaccines have arrived!

Henderson sisters dinner

Turn off the news and build a garden